Monday, February 9, 2015

project quilting -- challenge 3 -- Orphan Blocks

Orphan blocks -- we all have them, mine live in a plastic tote that I pull out from time to time and thumb through them for inspiration or  they might become a charity quilt or a quick pouch. Many of my scrap blocks come from my friend's scraps so when I make things from them they remind me of them. So for the challenge  I wanted to work with some great cutoffs from a friend's bag that she had made.
These scraps were screaming to become a sew together bag to me so I set off to "whip one up" -- If you've ever made one you know that it isn't really a quick project -- so I took several pictures along the way to keep me motivated.
Saturday morning hubs and I headed to Salisbury, to get my Featherweights serviced by Featherweight Poppy. I had seen him at several shows and really wanted to get a good service for both my babies before going to Stash Bash in April -- in case I decide not to take the big machine for the retreat. He does great work and got the junk machine that my friend found outside about 6 months ago in full working order.

I also needed more background fabric for my Moda Modern Building Blocks quilt, so we headed on down to Concord Mills and visited We're So Creative. Hubbs was looking around at the shop and found a pack of pinmoors -- a tool I have been wanting to try for a while. (it's pretty cool that he remembered me mentioning them before.)
Purple Pinmoors
I will be sure to let you all know how much I like them once I get my next mini put together.

So now that I had treated myself, it was time to get back to making the pouch and I am really happy with the outcome.

I've got 2 more of these to make this month -- doing them in pairs might make things easier actually.

Linking up @
Sew Cute TuesdayLinky Tuesday at Freemotion by the RiverQuilter in the Closet

9 comments:

  1. Very cute! That is an excellent way to use up some orphan blocks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favourite sew together bags ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those extra blocks are perfect for this project. It is a lovely bag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks adorable! I love the blocks you used up.

    Thanks for linking up to Building Blocks Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pulling thins out of the scrap boxes and turning them into whatever they apparently are destined to become. Your little pouches are really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness, it's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete