Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Tessellations

My initial desire to make this quilt started when I first saw pictures of it online, and when I met Alison Glass at a trunk show she did in Virginia I was hooked. Aside from this being an awesome project and not overly complicated to assemble, Alison is one of the most genuine and nicest people that you could know and has a real passion for her work. 

I bought the pattern that night and held on to it for a while because I had so many other things in the works.  I pulled fabrics to match an awesome piece of Voile backing. 

Field Study Butterfly Moth, Viva, Anna Maria Horner Cotton Fabric:
I then was super lucky to get to take a workshop local with Kathleen Baden and my start on this project was energized and I got like 15 blocks made that day and my solid blocks cut. 
I made a few more in the days following the workshop and then seemingly lost momentum and would only work on it from time to time but every time I remembered why I still loved this project.

I took this project with me to Stash Bash and didn't get around to it and that's probably a good thing because of the distractions that were around me and focus that these blocks need. I elected to make this my OMG goal for May and at least wanted to get the blocks completed -- Ideally also then assembled. 


This did not happen in May because I ran out of month before I found enough motivation to finish all the blocks. I did finish about half of them and only have about 25 more to go. 


When I finally had all my blocks (and a few extra) ready and now started the tedious part of layout but I was able to get things all laid out with the help of Kathleen in early June. My goal became to have a top by the 2nd anniversary of the class (June 15). 

Well that didn't happen so I finished the top on July 4 and sent it out to be quilted by Charlene at @thecottonfarmfabrics 
She did an AMAZING job on this one and I know it's well worth all those stitches to have it home looking this great. 
I had a great time taking some finished pictures at a settlement community near my work -- this place was established nearly 300 years ago.
How great is this Voile back by Anna Maria Horner -- it was the inspiration for the whole quilt. 

This is my 2nd finish in the 4th quarter 2017.   

2 comments:

  1. I love it and congrats on finally getting it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting perfectly compliments your piecing! Well done on your Q4 finish, Jxo

    ReplyDelete